Pages

Saturday 7 June 2014

Finding an Internship in Publishing

Since starting my MA, I have been lucky enough to intern with a couple of publishers and so decided to publish a post on finding an internship in publishing (not to offer an infallible guide but share tips on what has worked for me).

Social Media
Random House is particularly good at posting new work experience opportunities via Facebook. Hachette likewise posts a lot of internship opportunities and job openings on their official website, their Facebook page and via Twitter, as do smaller companies like Nosy Crow. A summer internship scheme is offered by PenguinHarperCollins offers a graduate recruitment scheme. There are other Twitter accounts (i.e. Book CareersIdeas Tap) that advertise internships in publishing and related fields, also worth following. But incredible opportunities have come up via social media that I otherwise would never have seen. 

Logistics Later
For me, the long-term value of getting my ‘foot in the door’ was worth so much more than the short-term costs of accommodation, food, etc., when I worked my first voluntary week at a publishing company some distance from home. My week at that company was fantastic, it confirmed what I wanted to do and it led to other opportunities (including another longer internship) later. 

Past Experience
Past experience and perspective brought from working in other fields can be incredibly helpful. Before I began my Publishing MA, I used to work as a children’s librarian and a teaching assistant; this gave me a lot of time to read to and with children and teenagers, to learn more about their books, to see what sorts of books they loved and what they responded to. As I ultimately want to work with children’s books, all of this I count as significant (along with my English degree, creative writing classes, etc.), and I reference my experiences in more detail whenever I write a covering letter.

Demonstrate Passion and Knowledge 
Keep yourself informed on what’s out there and what people think of the books you want to work with. You can follow publishers and agents, authors and bloggers on Twitter, and listen to their opinions and insights. Follow accounts like The Bookseller and Publishing Perspectives, anything to create a tailored newsfeed for yourself about publishing on Twitter. I have found research invaluable when applying to publishers, in order to show awareness and appreciation for their material. If you’ve read books on the publisher’s list, it will give you another advantage, particularly if you liked them and can discuss them. 

Covering Letter 
It’s as well to have a basic covering letter prepared that can be adapted easily whenever new opportunities arise and whatever you do, proofread everything several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment